Why is my child strong-willed and so difficult?! (AKA: 'Spicy')
Heidi answers the following question in this episode:
"Hi Heidi, why doesn’t positive parenting work on my spicy 8 year old? My 10 year old is so different and much more dutiful, compliant and easy. My 8 year old is aggressive, violent and hates any talk about feelings. It feels like we are all walking eggshells. My husband yells and isn’t as patient as me, but I lose it too, as nothing seems to work. I could talk about feelings and validate the emotions of my 10 year old but Mr 8 hates any kind of emotional chat. Why is he like this?"
Heidi answers this question by discussing:
- emotional regulation and how it's such a key issue for SPICY kids
- the two main beliefs SPICY kids have about themselves
- how needing choice, feeling anxious and angry outbursts are all interconnected
- a discussion around the belief a lot of people have that these kids are choosing to be this way and are just disrespectful, strong willed and defiant
- what to do and say when your child says 'I hate you!' or 'I'm running away!'
Mentioned in this episode:
- SPICY Masterclass: https://www.heidirogers.com/spicy-kids-register-full
- The SPICY Method is a framework Heidi uses, more info can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWZ2_hcP_Bc/
- Wish you knew more parents who 'get' what its like to have a SPICY child? Want to pick Heidi's brain monthly on what to do? Join our support group: https://www.heidirogers.com/spicy-parents-club-registration